Flying from a Study Abroad Experience in Italy to an Internship in New York

July 8th, 2010

Hello to my fellow Crusaders and welcome to the blog that will highlight my experiences interning with the Avon Foundation for Women this summer! Between my sophomore year transfer into Holy Cross and my junior year spent in Florence, Italy, I have had little time to spend on the Hill. However, throughout my college career I’ve been focused on my road to the future, and intent on securing an internship for the summer of 2010.

I was thrilled to accept the position as Development Intern for the Avon Foundation for Women while I was preparing for final exams and enjoying my last weeks in Florence. I stepped onto American soil on June 3 and faced a hurried recovery from jetlag, as I was scheduled to report to Avon Products, Inc. in New York City at 8 a.m. on June 7.

Since that day four weeks ago, I have come to understand Avon Products, the Avon Foundation for Women, and my role in its impressive operation. The Foundation sector of the company is closely linked to Avon Products, Inc. and welcomes unending support from its directors. The team within the Foundation tirelessly strives to emphasize the importance of early detection, screening and treatment for breast cancer and places serious focus on ending the delicate issue of domestic violence. To support its mission, the Avon Foundation for Women hosts walks and charity events to raise money and bring the world closer to eradicating these two major women’s health issues.

My role as an intern is all-encompassing; I have met with each of my 14 team members and learned about their areas of contribution to the Foundation. These info-sessions have provided me with a better understanding of the Foundation’s importance as I move forward in completing my project requests. I have spent much of my time telephoning potential sponsors, researching our causes, and carrying out administrative work. Outside of the Foundation and within my team of fellow interns, I have been a part of development workshops, guest speakers, and a field trip to our Research and Development Facility in Suffern, N.Y.

In my time remaining as an intern, I am looking forward to diving further into the Foundation to improve my understanding of its influence as a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization and to increase both my personal and professional development. Thus far, my experience has been unforgettable, and I am looking forwarding to updating as I continue to learn.

One Response to “Flying from a Study Abroad Experience in Italy to an Internship in New York”

1. Ted says:

Thank you for sharing your internship story – very cool. The Avon Foundation sounds like a great place to intern! Good luck with the rest of your internship.