Another philanthropic week at the Avon Foundation for Women

July 19th, 2010 erdiru11

Hello again! After reporting on Tuesday’s events, the rest of Week 6 went well, and was full of interesting tasks to complete. On Wednesday, I helped out with a fundraiser for the New York Avon Walk for Breast Cancer. Avon’s associate team, which consists of about 50 members, hosted a silent auction in one of our building’s cafeteria. I spent an hour there, informing bidders of the rules and placing a few bids myself. The prizes were all donated from various companies and Avon associates. We had 3 Derek Jeter-signed World Series posters, flower arrangements, purses, watches, Rock Band, salon days, and lots of other worthwhile treats. I wasn’t there for the final hour of bidding, but I imagine it went very well and that Team Avon raised a lot of money.

On Thursday, the interns hosted the Dress for Success Suit Drive. For one day every summer, Avon’s interns advertise and post information and reminders to associates that their un-wanted, lightly-used suits, shoes and business accessories don’t have to go to waste. As a result of this drive, we received about 300 items in one building, and 400 in the other. All collected items will now be shipped off to a warehouse to be sorted. Eligible, underprivileged women in the “Dress for Success” program will be able to visit the warehouse and choose a business wardrobe for a new job, interview, etc. From this program, they will also receive interview skills and resume writing training. I had never heard of “Dress for Success” before this internship, and it seems to be a great way to help difficulty-stricken women get back on their feet.

On Friday, the interns held a picnic in Central Park as a little “team building” exercise. We all brought our own lunch and a dessert to share with the group. I brought chocolate covered strawberries, which ended up being a huge challenge when it came to preserving them from the heat. With a little hoop-jumping and quicker subway rides versus walking, the strawberries made it to lunch time and everyone enjoyed them. After lunch, we played “Catch Phrase” in the Park, but quickly called it a day soon after. It was too hot to stay outside.

Throughout this week, I will be working on my teammates’ varying project tasks, and a little project of my own, which I will have to present to the executives at the end of the internship. I’ve chosen to make a presentation on the Foundation and its mission, and then dive deeper by creating a “Fact Sheet” on some of our grant beneficiaries of the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer. It should be a pretty worthwhile presentation.

That’s all for now; I hope to be updating later in the week.

One Response to “Another philanthropic week at the Avon Foundation for Women”

1. This is my Excerpt…

I saw this really great post today. I really love your blog and it’s obvious that you put a lot of hard work into it! Keep up the good work and back to writing! You’ve got me hooked now!…